Five members of Valencia squad test positive for coronavirus

first_imgFive members of the playing squad and staff of La Liga club Valencia have tested positive for the coronavirus, the Spanish side said on Sunday.“Valencia CF inform that five positive cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus have been detected amongst first team staff and players,” the club said in a statement.“All of these persons are now at home, in good health and obeying self-isolation measures.”Earlier on Sunday Valencia and Argentina defender Ezequiel Garay became the first La Liga player to confirm he has the virus.“It’s clear that I have got off to the wrong start in 2020. I’ve tested positive for the coronavirus, I feel very good and now I just have to listen to the health authorities and for now remain isolated,” he wrote on Instagram.The 33-year-old was already ruled out for the remainder of the season after suffering a knee injury in February.Valencia travelled to Milan last month for a Champions League match at Atalanta played in front of a packed San Siro stadium, before restrictions were placed on sports events in Italy.A Valencia-based radio journalist who travelled to the match tested positive for the virus the following week.The second leg of the tie, which Valencia lost 8-4 on aggregate, was ordered to be played without spectators at the club’s Mestalla stadium.In line with most major sports worldwide, all organised football in Spain has been postponed for at least two weeks in a bid to prevent further spread of the virus. Spain is the second worst-affected country in Europe after Italy.Since Saturday, Spain has been in partial lockdown as part of a 15-day state of emergency to combat the epidemic.Spain has so far suffered 196 coronavirus deaths and recorded almost 6,400 cases.last_img read more

Min. Dukuly Assures Cape Mountainians of Gov’t Commitment

first_imgInternal Affairs Minister Morris Dukuly on Friday toured the construction works on two of the three major bridges that are currently ongoing in Grand Cape Mount County.The works include the construction of bridges on Diah and Tallah in Commonwealth District in Tewor as well as the one taking place in Kaylia, Porkpah District.The projects are being funded by the Government of Japan through its Commodity Value Fund (CVF) and a grant of more than US$1.9 million for the implementation of those projects. It is being implemented by the Ministry of Internal Affairs on behalf of the Government of Liberia.Minister Dukuly was accompanied by Roland Worhee, the County Assistant Superintendent for Fiscal Affairs, and some members of the construction companies, including Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) and Quest Incorporated.Following the tour Minister Dukuly expressed satisfaction to the ABC Company for the level of work done so far.“I am pleased that government has kept its promise to transform the country.” He then thanked officials of the company and the people of Diah for the cooperation and support for the project.“We could not have done it without your support; so the benefits to you come from yourselves and your own cooperation,” the Minister reminded the residents.He also called on residents of Diah to fully cooperate with the engineers that are working on their bridge, by focusing their attention their equipment so that no one could steal them.When completed, he said, those ridges will increase access, promote trade, lead to the reduction in the prices of basic commodities throughout the county, especially during the rainy season.“We want to assured the people of Cape Mount that the projects will be completed on time,he said.Meanwhile, elder of Diah Goi Fahnbulleh thanked Minister Dukuly and his team for the visitation and expressed happiness for the job.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Morning will come to City Hall, it has no choice

first_imgDear Editor,With the citizens of Georgetown having been subjected to enduring, over the last two years, some of the worst living conditions that one could encounter in a capital city, it finally seems as though the end is nigh for the current Mayor and City Council with the announcement of Local Government Elections for November 12, 2018.One would think that this gives for more substantial grounds or cause for celebration than the commemoration of the 175th anniversary of the birth of the city, as substantial as that is.As the Mayor begins to pack and remove her things from her office in anticipation of departure, one can only hope that she takes along with her a number of the infamous things from her stint, including the infamous parking meter contract; the useless stun guns that were purchased for the Abattoir; the scores of used airline tickets and boarding passes; the plans to convert green spaces in Bel Air Park, Farnum Playground and Lamaha Springs into residential areas; the massive plans they had to overhaul Georgetown and restore its Garden City acclaim; plans for the Merriman Mall Recreation Park, which was supposed to  feature among its facilities a petting zoo; the proposal to construct a three-storey shopping mall with special entertainment facility at the new vendors mall; and a similar edifice with parking facilities for farmers, wholesalers and other merchants at Bourda Green; and all the other quixotic ideas that came from La La Land.Hopefully, the new Mayor and City Council would do away with all of the excesses, such as bodyguards, chauffeurs, special assistants, residential security, frequent travel to the ends of the earth with assistants in tow etc.Hopefully also, the new municipal government will be filled with smart young persons who will not be so out-of-control, so bloated, and so infested with deceit and abuse of power.Have faith, citizens. Morning will come to City Hall; it has no choice.Best regards,Sambu Jacobuslast_img read more

Suriname encourages Region to diversify economic offerings

first_imgSuriname’s President Desi Bouterse on Monday encouraged the Region to further diversify its offerings on the economic stage.Bouterse was speaking at the opening ceremony of the 37th Regular Meeting of the Conference of the Caricom Heads of Government in Georgetown.According to the Head of State of the Dutch-speaking nation, the Region has faced a number of economic challenges especially now that other world economies are declining. According to him, Caricom Member States could no longer be dependent on extractive sectors such as oil, gold and other mining products which were now confronted with decreasing prices.He said that although there had been recent improvements in the prices of oil and gold, the old prices for these commodities would not return in the foreseeable future.“Even if the prices were to increase substantially, we cannot keep running our economies on prices that are so unstable,” the President told his counterparts and other special invitees at the opening ceremony.He said small and medium-sized economies like the ones in the Caricom Region had almost no effect on market prices of commodities. As such, he implored the Region to diversify its economies by developing service industries to the point where they became solid earners characterised by sustainability. He said that States that were dependent on the extractive sectors needed to get together to discuss meaningful ways to shift from export of commodities.“We have to join hands both nationally and regionally to consider effective ways to seriously improve service sectors and productivity,” he said.He outlined that Member States dependent on the tourism sector also had a similar challenge since there had been notable declines in the number of tourists travelling to the Region. He urged the Caricom Secretariat to establish a connection with experts who could advise on innovative ways of creating new packages for international tourists. He further said that it was important for the Region to improve the quality of the services provided to the world.The Surinamese President said that in order to address the challenges, the Region needed to reduce dependency on fossil fuels and increase renewable energy. He said the Region would also need to promote more sustainable sectors in its economies. He said the development of sustainable energy sources such as solar power and power generated by the use of waste should become prime targets.The issue of climate change was another matter raised by the President. He was particularly concerned about the inundation of coastlines in the Region as the sea rises. He said the 22nd Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC ) –(COP 22) presented the Region with an opportunity to become more specific on its positions regarding the results of COP 21, which was signed off on recently in New York.In closing, President Bouterse expressed his excitement about the multilateral and bilateral talks that would ensue during the meeting, and warmly welcomed the new leaders who recently joined the Conference of Caricom Heads.last_img read more

Truck driver charged for narco trafficking

first_imgA truck driver of Buckhall, Essequibo River, was refused bail at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on a charge of possession of narcotics for the purpose of trafficking.Leroy Fraser, 43, pleaded guilty with explanation before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan.It was alleged that on October 26, 2016, at the Police Outpost at Mabaruma he had in his possession 674 grammes of cannabis for the purpose of trafficking.Police prosecutor Neville Jeffers stated that on the day in question, Police were conducting a routine search at the Police Outpost when they discovered a black plastic bag with three transparent plastics containing leaves, seeds and stems suspected to be cannabis.The illicit drug was discovered in the steering wheel of the vehicle which Fraser was driving. In addition, he stated that Fraser was the only occupant in the vehicle.Fraser, who was unrepresented by any attorney, challenged the prosecution’s case, claiming that the drug was found underneath his truck and not in his steering wheel. He said that Police Officers had to get a light to retrieve the drug. He further added that he was not caught with the drug at the Outpost but at the Landing after Police stopped him there again.He continued that upon discovery of the drub by police officers he immediately pointed out a suspect called “Dougla” to the officers whom he recalled had asked him to transport some drugs for him. He explained to the Chief Magistrate that he told the man “no”; that he does not like to be part of those things.In addition, he stated that “Dougla” was subsequently arrested and released Friday morning from the Police Station.After listening to the defendant’s lengthy explanation, the Chief Magistrate entered a not guilty plea on his behalf. Fraser will make his next court appearance on November 18, 2016.last_img read more

Man found with cocaine utensil jailed

first_imgALodge, Georgetown man was on Monday morning jailed for being in possession of a utensil used for smoking cocaine when he appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.Fifty-eight-year-old Alan Charles, of Lot 8 D’Urban Street, was sentenced to one year in prison and fined 00.Jailed: Alan CharlesThe man pleaded guilty to the charge when it was read to him by Magistrate Judy Latchman.The charge stated that on May 19, 2017 at Kitty, Georgetown, Charles had the utensil in his possession.The prosecution told the court that on the day in question, the man was intercepted by ranks carrying out a raid and admitted ownership of the item when it was found on his person.Charles begged for leniency telling the court that he was never charged before and this was his first offence. He also explained that he was the father of two children whom he provided for.Magistrate Latchman, however, sent the man straight to jail.last_img read more

SEARCH IS ON FOR DONEGAL’S OUTSTANDING VOLUNTEERS

first_imgThe search is on to find Ireland’s outstanding volunteers with the launch of the Panadol supported Volunteer Ireland Awards 2012.Launching the awards, RTE Presenter Claire Byrne called on people in Donegal to go to www.volunteer.ie and nominate heroes in their own county who are deserving of a special ‘thank you’.The Volunteer Ireland Awards are the major annual initiative to celebrate volunteering in Ireland that are coordinated by Volunteer Ireland and supported by Panadol. Now in their fifth year, the Awards aim to celebrate and recognise the thousands of remarkable people across the country who selflessly give their time and talent to benefit others and their communities.There are ten different awards categories including sports, arts, youth, environment, community, disability, education, social work, awareness raising and international development. Nominations can be received up to October 26th. Category winners and an overall winner will be decided at a special Awards ceremony in December.John Curran, Manager of Donegal Volunteer Centre said: “We’re calling on all Donegal residents to help us shine a light on this county’s remarkable volunteers. Volunteers are a charity or community group’s most precious resource.“The Volunteer Ireland Awards is a great way of recognising and celebrating the contribution made by volunteers across Ireland. Take this opportunity to say thanks and nominate an outstanding volunteer you know for Volunteer of the Year.” Panadol is delighted to be the lead sponsor of this important initiative for the third year and encourages everybody to nominate people they know who make a positive contribution to making our communities better places in which to live.Donegal people can nominate their volunteer at www.volunteer.ieLast year hundreds of volunteers were nominated from all parts of the country and awards were presented to the shortlisted nominees by President Michael D. Higgins.SEARCH IS ON FOR DONEGAL’S OUTSTANDING VOLUNTEERS was last modified: September 3rd, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Tottenham and Arsenal starting line-ups ranked man for man

first_img 11 Christian Eriksen: Tottenham (7.26) v Mesut Ozil: Arsenal (7.29) 11 Son Heung-min: Tottenham (7.06) v Henrikh Mkhitaryan: Arsenal (7.13) 11 11 11 Eric Dier: Tottenham (6.95) v Granit Xhaka: Arsenal (6.92) 11 Hugo Lloris: Tottenham (6.85) v David Ospina: Arsenal (6.81) Harry Kane: Tottenham (7.93) v Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: Arsenal (7.14) 11 Kieran Trippier: Tottenham (7.17) v Hector Bellerin: Arsenal (6.83) Tottenham v Arsenal is live on talkSPORT on Saturday 10 February at 12.30 (GMT)Man for man, which of the north London rivals has better players?Looking at who is expected to start for both Tottenham and Arsenal, talkSPORT.com has looked at the WhoScored.com rating for each player to find out.Do you agree?Stream Tottenham v Arsenal at 12.30 (BST) here. 11 11 Toby Alderweireld: Tottenham (6.89) v Shkodran Mustafi: Arsenal (7.45) Ben Davies: Tottenham (7.13) v Nacho Monreal: Arsenal (7.25) Jan Vertonghen: Tottenham (7.15) v Laurent Koscielny: Arsenal (7.21) 11 Dele Alli: Tottenham (7.18) v Alex Iwobi: Arsenal (6.91) Mousa Dembele: Tottenham (6.72) v Aaron Ramsey: Arsenal (7.30) 11last_img read more

‘Go out against Bayern’ – Gary Neville on what Liverpool must do to win title

first_img Liverpool star Mohamed Salah looks dejected after the Merseyside derby. It was the first time they had relinquished top spot since December 7 having played the same number of matches as City, while their goalless draw at Goodison Park represents a fourth draw in six league matches.As well as battling for the title, Liverpool also harbour hopes of glory in Europe, with their last 16 leg tie against Bayern Munich finely poised after a goalless draw in the first leg.However, ahead of next week’s return fixture at the Allianz Arena, Manchester United legend Neville has told the Reds they should not be bothered about advancing in the competition.“Getting points on the board is a big advantage. I always thought that if Liverpool could win the league this season then they’d need a clean fixture list,” Neville told Sky Sports.“I’m going to say it: go out against Bayern Munich. That sounds like madness. 2 2 Liverpool should forget about progressing in the Champions League and focus on winning their first Premier League title, according to Gary Neville.The weekend stalemate with neighbours Everton meant Jurgen Klopp’s side slipped back to second, a point behind Manchester City. Liverpool travel to face Bayern next week “Of course, you’d never play to lose a game but it will be in Liverpool’s favour if they have a clean run as they can get everyone fresh. City have got a couple of FA Cup games, where Liverpool could go five or six points in front. That’s tough to pull back in the closing weeks.“This title race is still 50-50.”Neville’s views echo those of fellow pundit Paul Merson, who earlier this month had said:  “Get out of that, get out of it…get out, make history,” he remarked.“This club hasn’t won the league in 29 years, get out of it, win the league…”If Liverpool progress to the quarter-finals, a two-legged tie would be played either side of a meeting with Chelsea, while they also host Tottenham at the end of March.last_img read more

IDEM issues Air Quality Action Day tomorrow for Southeast Indiana

first_imgAnyone sensitive to changes in air quality may be affected when ozone levels are high. Children, the elderly and anyone with heart or lung conditions should reduce or avoid exertion and heavy work outdoors. IDEM examines weather patterns and current ozone readings to make daily air quality forecasts. To learn more about ozone or sign up for air quality forecasts, visit www.SmogWatch.IN.gov or download our iPhone App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smogwatch/id882860480?mt=8 Ground-level ozone is formed when sunlight and hot weather bake vehicle exhaust, factory emissions and gasoline vapors. Ozone in the upper atmosphere blocks ultraviolet radiation, but ozone near the ground is a lung irritant that can cause coughing and breathing difficulties. About the ozone standard: On October 1, 2015, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) finalized the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) for ground-level ozone. The new rule sets more stringent standards, lowering both the primary (health-based) and secondary (welfare-based) standards from 75 parts per billion (ppb) to 70 ppb. Because of the stricter standard, it is possible that Indiana may see an increase in the number of air quality action days (AQAD) due to ozone in 2016. IDEM encourages all Hoosiers to be proactive and help reduce ozone for those who may be sensitive. IDEM encourages everyone to help reduce ozone by making simple changes to their daily habits. You can:Walk, bike, carpool or use public transportationAvoid using the drive-through and combine errands into one tripAvoid refueling your vehicle or using gasoline-powered lawn equipment until after 7 p.m.Turn off your engine when idling for more than 30 secondsConserve energy by turning off lights or setting the air conditioner to 75 degrees or above The Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) has issued anand is forecasting high ozone levels for Wednesday, July 20th, 2016 in the following area: Southeast Indiana – Clark, Floyd, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, Scott, and Washingtonlast_img read more